The Hansraj Morarji Public School Campus is located in the densely populated Mumbai suburb of Andheri West. The 28 acre site caters to Grades K through 12 and teacher training in 7 distinct schools. The purpose of the Masterplan is to double the student population, and to complete the first major overhaul since the campus was established in 1939, while maintaining and upgrading the outdoor sports facilities and creating a new vision for the campus. The challenge is further complicated by the need to keep the school in full operation throughout the transformation.
The Masterplan proposes a hybrid of rehabilitation, repurposing, additions and new buildings.
The layout is anchored by a central plaza/schoolyard engaging all branches of the school in creating the architectural identity. This space also serves as a place for graduations, job fairs, festivals, and assemblies.
In addition to academics, The Masterplan includes a full gymnasium, a 1,000 seat dining hall, a 1,500 seat Auditorium, 76 teaching staff apartments and 76 dorm rooms for boarding school students. The building shapes and orientations are planned to garner the greatest benefit from the prevailing westerly breezes, to minimize exposure to harsh sunlight while harnessing daylight to the greatest extent possible.